Rheinmetall to produce 155mm artillery ammunition in Ukraine

Rheinmetall, Europe’s largest ammunition maker, plans to open a new plant in Ukraine.

Rheinmetall and a Ukrainian partner company have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to set up a joint venture which in future will produce ammunition in Ukraine.

Notably, the MoU was signed in the presence of Alexander Kamyshin, the Ukrainian Minister for Strategic Industries, during the Munich Security Conference.

The “Ukrainian Competence Center for Ammunition” is to produce a six-digit number of 155mm calibre bullets per year in the future, including the corresponding propelling charges.

To achieve this, the partners plan to build and jointly operate a new production facility. Rheinmetall will have a 51 percent stake in the new company, with the remaining 49 percent share held by the Ukrainian partner.

To be noted that Rheinmetall is not only the world’s largest producer of artillery ammunition and a defence technology leader, but also has the expertise needed to plan, build and operate facilities for producing ammunition.

Earlier, in October 2023 Rheinmetall AG and Ukraine’s state-owned enterprise Ukrainian Defense Industry JSC (UDI, the former Ukroboronprom) established a first joint venture in Kyiv – Rheinmetall Ukrainian Defense Industry LLC.

In a first step, the company will maintain and repair combat vehicles; later, armored vehicles will also be built in Ukraine.